About StantonHome / About Stanton
Stanton-on-the-Wolds is a small village, situated about 6 miles (10 km) south-east of Nottingham, just off the A606 Nottingham to Melton Mowbray road. It is bordered by several other villages, namely, Clipston-on-the-Wolds, Normanton-on-the-Wolds, Keyworth and Widmerpool.
Stanton has had various names: from Stanture of 1086, to Estanton in 1235, and Stanton Super Wold in 1240-80. It is said that in the late 18th century the village was devastated by a freak storm when huge hailstones smashed roofs and cottages, and this accounts for the absence of really old buildings.
This section covers the following topics:
- Amenities - describes Stanton Church, Keyworth Medical Practice and other amenities in and around the village.
- Footpaths - a map showing the local footpaths and rights of way.
- Local Businesses - lists businesses that operate in Stanton.
- History - describes some of Stanton's history.
- Photos of Stanton - a gallery of local photos.
- IT in Stanton - information about the broadband service in Stanton.
- Natural History of Stanton - provides a list of the flora found in and around Stanton.
The map below shows the location of Stanton-on-the-Wolds village; the blue outline represents the administrative boundary of Stanton-on-the-Wolds Parish Council.